Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Paleo "Tortilla" Soup


After my surgery, I have taken it easy and not cooked a lot.  I'm starting to miss it greatly at this point, but I have to wait a little longer to heal up.  Thankfully I have some recipes that I haven't added yet.

We get these fantastic weekly produce deliveries from Full Circle.  They are a farm to table local organic produce company.  These deliveries are incredibly reasonably priced for organic produce, and really fun.  Every week you get different items.  It's kinda like a weekly challenge to learn how to use the different seasonal veggies.  This week we got parsnips.  The only way I could remember having them was roasted with chicken, which is not something my partner would like.  We eat a lot of chicken, so I am constantly trying to mix up how I prepare it.  I really was craving mexican food, which can be hard on Paleo, so I wracked my brain for something like mexican but could incorporate parsnips.  Bazinga! I thought of tortilla  soup!  Tortilla chips are not exactly Paleo but parsnip chips are.  Here is the recipe I came up with....


Paleo "Tortilla" Soup

Ingredients:

3-4 Cooked Chicken Breasts
24 oz (3 C) Chicken Broth
10 oz  Enchilada Sauce
4 oz    Roasted Green Chilis
28 oz  Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbl Olive Oil
4 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 Diced Onion
2 Tsp Cumin

Toppings:

1 Avocado Diced
Grated Almond Pepper Jack Cheese
Sweet Potato & Parsnip Chips


Cook 3-4 chicken breasts, I just threw mine on the George Forman, then diced it up.  In a soup pot, add oil, onion and garlic.  Cook over medium high heat until onions and garlic are tender.  Add the rest of the soup ingredients.  Bring to a gentle boil, then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.

While it simmers, make your Sweet Potato and Parsnip Chips.  Preheat oven to 425.



Peel and slice sweet potatoes and parsnips.  If you have a mandolin this would be the perfect time to use it, I didn't so I tried to make as even as possible slices.  Put the slices in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and dash with salt.  Toss so the slices are covered, then lay out evenly on cookie sheet.  Bake 10 minutes.  Pull out of the over, flip chips and cook for another 5-10 minutes.  I found that the smaller chips cooked quite a bit faster, so I pulled those out and just continued cooking the larger ones.

Once your chips are done, and your soup has simmered, you are ready to serve your soup.  Ladle soup into a bowl, top with diced avocado, pepper jack, and your crispy sweet potato and parsnips chips.  

No comments:

Post a Comment