Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Paleo Brownies


Today is Ash Wednesday and I keep reading about people looking for something to give up for Lent.  What are you giving up for Lent? What about going Paleo for Lent?  It would be giving up something and doing something great for your body.  I think that I if I came home today and told my partner that I was going to give up something for lent this year, he may have a little problem with it.  Because if I give up something that would mean he would have to too.  I’m not one who can have something in the house and not eat it.  So all of the tempting yummy foods I see have to stay at the grocery store.

 The first time I made this recipe below it was to bring into work for a side by side Paleo vs Non-Paleo brownie treat.  I had tried not to buy cocoa powder before because I knew once I did, the chocolate treats would start coming.  I’m very proud of myself, I have not resorted to mixing the cocoa powder with everything.  We are still fairly new on the Paleo lifestyle and my chocolate cravings are not always the easiest to manage.

Paleo Brownies

½ cup unsweetened applesauce  or 1/4 melted coconut oil (I use oil)
½ cup high-quality cocoa powder
2 Eggs
1/2 cup light agave nectar
1/2 cup raw honey
1 cup almond meal or flour 
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon vanilla plus 2 teaspoons peppermint extract)
Optional: ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts or chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In one mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until lighter in color. Add the other liquid ingredients to this bowl. In a second mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix.  If you are adding nuts or chocolate chips, mix them in at the end. Pour into lined baking pan. Pick up the pan and drop forcefully on the counter or table 3-4 times. This gets the air bubbles out of the batter.  Bake in the center of a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the brownies are set. I use a muffin tin so they are easier to pack for lunches, bake 8-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment